Friday, November 5, 2010

Nostalic Moments

Memories.
We all have them.  I even watched a movie about a year ago that was based on the idea that our memories are linked to our emotions, and if you erase our emotions, you could not retain or remember anything.  That is still an interesting concept to me, to this day. 
We all not only have memories in our lives, but we also have certain things that we cannot see, smell, taste, touch or hear without those things immediately bringing memories to our mind.  Many call this nostalgia.
And these are my nostalgic moments.
I cannot smell leather and steel without thinking... My Papa's old GMC truck.   I would ride around with my Daddy the old sea green pick up truck with the camper top.  I still remember how difficult the buttons were to push on the seat belts to release it; the slippery, slightly worn leather seats, the old-fashioned dashboard.  I just rode in an older truck, and as soon as I stepped in, it gave me an immediate flashback to times of my younger life.  This is always a good memory.
I cannot see the name Oroville without thinking... My boyfriend's psycho sister.  Her kids live in Oroville with her ex and his wife.  I know at some point I will have to make peace with her, since she is family, but for now, this memory makes me bitter and angry.  Someday, that will change.
I cannot drink Jaegermeister (spelling?) without thinking... the first night I ever consumed alcohol.  It immediately became my favorite alcohol for quite awhile.  But I also immediately think about a later night, after consuming over 5 bottles of the black liquid, regurgitating it right back up on to the lawn of a coworker.  My stomach now remembers that night much clearer than I do, and can never allow itself to consume anything tasting of black liquorice ever again.  This memory just makes me shake my head at the silliness of my life.
I cannot hear the song "Vanilla Twilight" by Owl City without thinking... David Simmer.  And it melts my heart every day.  This memory is one I currently live, and hope I never leave behind.
I cannot be outside in the early Fall without thinking... of Saturdays at home with Daddy.  We would work outside on the yard during the morning, with college football on the big screen TV.  Something about the crispness of the air, the smell of the slightly wet ground, the bright blue California sky, the sound of kids playing at the park, the vacuum running upstairs and the lawn mower roaring outside. These are days that will never be forgotten, and ones I hope to share with my family someday.

 
Off the top of my head, these are the memories I can come up with.  But as I find more, I will be sure to add to this list.  If not for your enjoyment, but for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment