Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Guilty Pleasures of a Stay-at-Home Mommy

Tomorrow is my first day of no longer being a full-time stay-at-home mommy, and as much as I hate the idea of being away from my beautiful angel, it is only a few hours, and I am extremely excited to be going back to a job that I love so much.  It is just one more thing to be so incredibly excited about in this new year.

But I also still consider myself a full time mommy, and am still MOSTLY at home with J.R., and with that comes hours and hours of wondering what to do with myself while she sleeps - which is most of the time these days.

I have found ways to consolidate all my mommy duties, and since I do not have a family to feed, I do not spend hours cooking meals, or doing loads of laundry.  My daughter is such an easy child, that my time is not spend calming a screaming baby, or cleaning up countless onesies and blankets covered in spit-up.  So I have found other ways of filling my time.  Of course, I have productive things I do... many constant thank you cards and emails are being sent out, cleaning and organizing our little room so that when we move into our own place, it is all ready to go and easy to unpack.

But I also have discovered some of my guilty pleasures, some of which, I already had.

As you can probably guess, my social networking is most likely what I spend most of my spare time doing.  My facebook keeps me in touch with my close family and friends, with updates about our lives and theirs.  It has been so nice being back in touch with people I would otherwise have lost all contact with.

My tumblr has become a place for me to simply zone out, and look for inspiration for all areas of my life - my writing, my future, my style.  It has also given me a chance to "meet" people all over the world, and make friendships with quite interesting individuals.  I also have made contact with people who have been helpful and useful in my plight as a single mother, and for advice regarding our custody case and legal issues.

I have resorted to using pinterest to consolidate all of my lists in life to one place... My to-do lists, my bucket lists, my shopping lists, my recipe book, my bucket list.  Everything I do or use in my life is on a board somewhere, and easily accessed.

Google Plus is turning into my networking site for the people who will be involved with/in my business, and then personal friends as well.  It is still getting set up, and I am still learning its ins and outs, but so far, it is working well for me!

CafeMom is my terrific source of information, tips, and network of other moms all over the world.  I have loved interacting with them, and learning what has worked for them and what has not in the world of Mommyhood.

But my other guilty pleasure that is always a part of my day?? NETFLIX!  O my goodness, I have overused that resource, I believe.  It introduced me to the magic of Friday Night Lights and how deep my love of a small town runs, the ridiculousness of The Secret Life of the American teenager and its ability to make me despise people that do not actually exist, and helped me fall ever more in love with the souls of One Tree Hill and once again inspire me as I always was.  And now the latter is back for one final season.  I cannot tell you how happy I am that it has returned.  But I must admit, I actually tear up that it will not be back.  I spent the last nine and a half years watching these characters and now it is as if they are real people in my life!!!! Bahahahahaha.  How absurd do I sound!  Once it ends, I'll have to find some new pretend friends :)

What about the rest of you?  Any other guilty mommy pleasures you enjoy that I should check out to broaden my horizons?

No comments:

Post a Comment